Saturday, September 18, 2010

"So, how was your trip?"

This is the question I keep getting asked since returning home. How do I begin to answer? Going to South Africa was so much more than a trip, it was a journey.

I have tired desperately to cling onto the feeling of peace, calm and euphoria Africa gifted me with upon landing home. It's hard to do in this hectic, fast-paced North American lifestyle we all lead.

I STILL can't quite get my head around the fact that my time in SA has come to a close. Did I ever enjoy my vacation at the end. Words will not be able to do justice to the beauty of nature I have seen and experienced and breathed in. South Africa is truly stunning. As are the people I met; their friendliness will never escape my heart.

I spent another 5 days in Cape Town - my new favourite city. In the whole world. It has everything. I hiked Table Mountain again to savour the view, went shark cage diving, visited Robben Island and went to Cape Point (where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet...another 'In Between' moment) and Boulders Beach where there are loads of penguins. SOOOOOOOO much fun!

Then, we set off on the Garden Route which is all beautiful - from start to finish. Instead of the dirty, hustle-bustle, big city life, I drove by coast after coast and did hike after hike from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. The Garden Route itself starts in Mossel Bay and ends at Storms River. Here is a map:


Since arriving back from this magical place and time, I have been full on with 'stuff'. I managed to finish my final academic presentation and give it to a panel of professors. I ended up passing and completing my Masters' as a result. I have also landed a new job with the City of Calgary for 6 mos. dealing with low-income recreational programming. I am also hoping to teach and keep working for Michelle's speaking business. I have so many ideas, visions and dreams to pursue. It's like I've been reborn.

I would also really like to take my writing and blogging further - with the hopes of writing a book one day. This particular blog has given me some insight into how I write and how others respond to my writing so I think all of you who fed back to me.

This is it for now regarding this expedition. Stay tuned.

Expanding with love,
Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment