Sunday, August 1, 2010

Why I Can't Sleep

Here is an overview of your average night in my room as I try to catch some zzzzz's:

10 pm: Crawl into bed. Panic button beside me? Check. Alarm on? Check. (And no, not the alarm clock per se, alarms for outside/inside the house.)

11 pm: Just as I have dozed off, police sirens one street below. It's a busy road. Maybe the odd gun shot to boot.

12 am: Neighbor's house alarm has gone off. Eventually it stops. But I stay put, despite their need for help.

2 am: Dogs barking up a storm. They have seen a bird they don't like. Or a cat. They carry on for quite awhile, causing a stir with all neighboring dogs as well. It's a big ol' dog party out there.

3 am: Landlady's son has eventually come home from a night out. He accidentally sets of the outside alarms. I make sure nothing else is wrong by peeking upstairs. Phone also rings as security company calls to check on us. At least they're prompt.

5 am: Housekeeper's husband goes to work. Dogs bark at him and sometimes he forgets to turn off the alarm. It goes again.

6 am: Sunrise. The birds start to chirp/squawk. They, too, are excessively loud.

6:30 am: The radio blares. Time to 'get up'.

No comments:

Post a Comment