Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Circle of Life

In true "Lion King" fashion, this song came to mind today.  And no, not because I'm in Africa. Because I have been personally confronted with the very delicate circle of life this month. Just within my little tight-knit group of girlfriends one dealt with the death of her mother and another has just given birth to a girl. We live in such a fragile state.

People in Africa balance between life and death...I don't know...with less balance. If you picture someone walking on a tightrope, they would be wobbly. They walk a finer line between life and death. The best example I can give of this is on the roads. People keep crossing at a 'crosswalk' (and I use this term loosely) even though you, as a driver, have a green light and the right of way. This makes for the dodging of cars by people and the dodging of people by cars. It's like the tempting of fate. They see you going, make eye contact as you rev up your clutch, but go anyway. Gingerly...like they are off for a Sunday stroll. The other day I saw a man literally strolling across a busy street...while pushing another man in a wheelchair. Oncoming traffic and all!!! Eish!

This fine line creates a certain 'aliveness' that is lacking in North America somewhat. People generally follow the rules where I come from. People do things on time. Get things done. Follow deadlines. Less maneuvering around the 'bending' of regulations. My type-A North American personality has slapped me in the face a few times in dealing with people and institutions here. I don't mean to sound better than, but it can get frustrating when you ask someone to sign a document and it takes 4 weeks....just for it to surface. Regardless, the way of life here is more relaxed, free, less bound, and more forgiving. It's less uptight which I can appreciate. It's made me more laid back. I thought I was laid back before, but not so much. I am grateful for this teaching. My heart is more open and soft.

I'm also being bombarded with other 'realizations'. "Home is where the heart is", primarily. No matter where I go and no matter for how many months, there is a longing for home. The same in reverse. When I am home, I long for travel and to see another part of this amazing world. This can create quite the confusion in my little head. There MUST be a way to satisfy both of these urges, no? 

I think, therefore, that creating a HOME, partly 'on the road', is what I need to try and manifest next. I must admit that being a solo traveller has had many perks in terms of my growth over the years, but, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I desire more for these experiences to be shared, and instead I often refer back to people in my life at home via phone, email, skype, etc. to share things with at a distance. This can feel hollow at times. It would be so much better if there was some of home, here, with me. Perhaps the creation of a life with someone(s) who have the same need to travel and the capacity to create a HOME wherever they may land. The worldly life. Yet the consistent life. (In between of course.) And no, this is not coming from a place of fear, this is coming from a place of contentment. Contentment with myself, and being able to love me and what my soul requires.

Let the countdowns begin! 17 days until David arrives; 28 days until I am back in YYC; 10 days left in my practicum!

B

PS-I have fallen in love with this South African band named Freshly Ground. Enjoy their new song: http://vimeo.com/12715405

No comments:

Post a Comment