Thursday, August 12, 2010

Learning

The past few days I have been working on my final evaluation for the University. This was a difficult and emotionally draining task. It was the first time I actually sat down and tried to articulate the growth that has occured within. Not easy. I believe I will continue to learn and grow beyond these four months inside the borders of South Africa and that I will be processing this experience for many years to come. Here is a snapshot of my response to the question below. (I must also give credit to my friend Leilani, who, without realizing it, helped shape a few of my sentances with her insights.)

STUDENT: Please provide a summary of your own perceptions of working in an international/cross-cultural setting and your personal growth experience. What have you learned through this experience?
I have been on a long journey since I started my Masters’ in September 2009. After initially turning down this practicum placement for personal reasons, I look back with gratitude and fondness on the path I have traveled and indeed embracing this opportunity. Despite the obstacles I’ve had to overcome prior to my arrival and during my time in Pretoria, I don’t regret a thing. I didn’t think it was possible for me to be stretched in THIS many new directions, having many independent foreign travel/work experiences already under my belt. The continent of Africa is unique, however, and I now better understand why I instinctively felt so strongly to make it my destination.
Moreover, I have not, until this practicum experience, been exposed to the highs and lows of humanity in such a short span of time, minute-by-minute. From the highs of the FIFA World Cup and the direct exposure to wildlife to the lows of encountering death regularly and seeing such extreme levels of poverty, I have witnessed this and all that lies in between. I have been made aware of the fragility of life itself and the delicate balance between living and dying we all walk with grace. There is a certain amount of surrender and faith that has therefore accompanied my process, building with each day that passes. I feel more certain of my own identity and how I want to live my life.
Working internationally/cross-culturally has been what I expected in many ways – full of baggage to overcome and work with by my difference and ‘foreignness’. I feel I adapted well here based on my preceding experiences and was able to not get ‘stuck’ as quickly as I have in the past. I only really felt suffocated and homesick near to the end of my time here and that shows confidence and stability. I was able to nurture myself in this time and still do the job to the best of my abilities. I believe I was able to honor my values and the community’s values during my time here and work in a collaborative way – each party learning from each other and working from a place of respect. This, I believe, is true international development.
Being in South Africa has been rewarding professionally as well. I feel I was truly able to contribute to the SACPSS (aka research study) and that my small voice was heard. I felt a sense of responsibility to the children of this country almost instantly, and fit into the structure of the department and project with ease. I have come to know policy as an evolving social benchmark, not a distant object. I believe I am a better project manager, researcher, writer, communicator, thinker and social worker as a result of being placed in the DSD and with Carmen specifically. She has taught me a lot in such a short span of time and really allowed me to fly with unchained wings. I will always be grateful to her.

With love,

Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment