Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Threads

Today I attended the National Child Care and Protection Forum in Johannesburg. These happen quarterly and involve provincial and national government staff from various departments as well as national NGO staff. As I sat there and looked around the hot and stuffy room, I couldn't believe that I recognized and KNEW about 50% of the faces in there. There were about 125 attendees so you do the math. In less than 3 months, I have managed to find myself in a 'team'. And amongst 'colleagues', who I consider friends, and who say "hi, how are you?" and all that. They know my role and where I fit in. Wow. That felt really, really good. Especially because I am a young foreigner who REALLY feels out of place most of the time.

All of these faces will be threads, weaving in and out of my mind, for the rest of my life. I don't forget faces.

As we drove home, yelling above the radio (Carmen and I do this when we get excited - I'll miss her), I realized that this purpose of mine, this motivating force, will be done and gone in about 3 weeks. I have worked so very hard for the last 11 months, on and through my Masters. This practicum is the accumulation of all the learning and final test. I have immersed myself in the job at hand, acting as if I was a full-time staff member, not a learner. It gives me life. And then, suddenly, poof! It will be over and I'll be home and onto the next challenge. This made my heart sad.

I have hence made a promise to myself, that I will not look behind me or ahead of me until the time comes to say good-bye.

Presently yours,
Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment